Sunday, October 10, 2010

bring YOUR Kingdom...

This was my prayer for the Dominican at the beginning of this summer..
And it still is today. After I took this picture I walked down the beach for a while. When I came back only the faint remains of "bring" and "Kingdom" were there. But "Your" remained deeply etched in the sand. I kept thinking that it was fitting. It's not my Kingdom that I want to see. It's not the Kingdom of social justice that I want to see. It's His Kingdom that I want to see on this earth.

I've been thinking about this concept a lot recently during this whole Esperanza journey. Sometimes I think it can be easy for missions organizations or ministries to get wrapped up in whatever "change" they are trying to make or whatever wrong they are trying to right. But in the end, it's not really about that. While loving our neighbor, showing them Jesus, and working towards social justice are all good things, our focus has to be on God and His Kingdom first. I want to worship the Lord, not the work that I am doing for Him. And so while we are still in the beginning processes, it has been good reminder to place my focus and our ministry's focus on bringing the Lord glory.

"As much as we want to change the world, our goal cannot be a particular change. Our ambition is the will of God. We need to meditate upon God as revealed in the person of Jesus Christ and in His Word. As we meditate day and night, He then gives us the wisdom and understanding to do what He has called us to do."
-John Perkins

My prayer is that my life points towards Jesus and out of the overflow of His love in my heart comes new life and the Kingdom of God in the Dominican Republic. I pray that people are changed and restored by the powerful love of our Father. I pray that people find hope... not in our home, but in Christ alone. I pray that Esperanza is a place where people feel the presence of God and find freedom. I pray that He makes beautiful things out of us... "bestow[ing] on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes" Isaiah 61:3. I'm so thankful for the lessons that God has been teaching me during my time here. A month ago I would have given anything not to get on that plane back to America, but God is so gracious in showing me purpose here.

Panera is my new best friend. Unlimited coffee, my bag full of books, and sweet, little booths make for some great days :)

"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him."
1 John 4:16

No comments: