Monday, August 17, 2009

opportunity

Today I realized a lot of things.


For the past week I have really begun asking myself a lot of questions about opportunity. I am broken by the fact that I have been given so many opportunities, while others have been given none. Why have I always had clean water, while people here savor the one truck full of clean water that comes once a week (hopefully)? Why have I been given an outstanding education, while people here have never had anyone teach them how to read? Why do I own several Bibles, while a community here only has one to share... and most can't read it. Why did I grow up with people that loved me all around, when there are kids here who crave a simple hug? I could list a thousand more questions that are reeling through my mind. But the point is, my eyes have been continually opened to the fact that I have been blessed more than I have ever chosen to see. And yet, my heart hurts realizing how much I have horded those blessings. While my opportunities have been great, there are millions who have had few. And so, the biggest lesson I am being taught right now? That my responsibility is to spread that opportunity. People deserve a chance at a good education. People deserve clean water and clothes. People deserve food every day. And most importantly, people deserve to hear the Gospel. So as my journey continues, I will remember to constantly spread the opportunity.

Entonces, that is what has been going on in my head and I have been blessed with seeing it play it. The Lord is so faithful. One of my main focuses for the next year here is starting a literacy program in Monte Cristi. The education system in the Dominican Republic is the worst education system in the entire western hemisphere. Thus, literacy is a huge area for improvement because many people never really learned how to read in the first place. So this week is the start of the program with a "Reading Week" at the English Institute. I loved teaching my kids in the morning... who would have thought I would love teaching?! That's a whole different story :) But anyway, in the afternoon I got all the pre-teen/teenage girls full of attitude (I might be teaching their class this year which would be amazing! praying for it!). They are straight up disrespectful and do pretty much whatever they want whenever they want. It's easy for a lot of volunteers to get run over by them. So I was pumped when they all got put in my group because I just have this huge passion to invest in them and inspire change within them! I just want to see them grow, to see them enjoy learning, to know they can do it, to see the walls be broken that they have built up, to develop relationships with them... and for them to see Jesus! So today I was in shock because I saw that happening! God is just so good! I feel like I gained their respect. They were silent when others were reading aloud. They helped people pronounce words. They answered my questions. And they did their work. This may not seem like a big deal... but it was HUGE!!! One of the interns and I were talking about it and I kept saying, "It's just like 'Freedom Writers.'" Haha. It just makes me see such hope for them this year. So be praying that God divinely orchestrates the students that are in my English class this fall! It's gonna be good :)

AND tomorrow is "noche especial" for the girls at the orphanage... basically a huge sleepover with lots of movies, snacks, and games! LOVE IT!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT is right!

Love you too, by the way :)

KatrinaLynn said...

you LOVED teaching?? :] haha. that made me smile.
God is working through you girl and it's amazing to read about!
praying for you!