Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Estoy aqui!

I am here! Soooo much to say, yet so little time! I'm sitting looking across my "porch" (which essentially is the roof of the second floor of a building!) at the mountains, waiting for a storm to start, and listening to high school volunteers sing the "moose" song. This past week and a half has been incredible. I got to Jaibon late on a Saturday night with nothing but the books in my backpack (American Airlines tends to always lose my luggage... ha!). Saturday night 12 interns also arrived. They will be here for either 1 month or 2. It has been such a blessing to get to know them. I have seen God work in incredible ways through them and it has not even been two weeks. Homesickness seemed to be the emotion that most of the girls were feeling at first, but God has worked to create unity, community, and a passion for the Dominicans in each of these girls' hearts. It is insane to watch the transformation. They are loving it and I am loving it. The first couple of days were definitely a transition... not into the way of life... but into my leadership position. I can't say it was easy to lead 12 interns at an orphanage I had never been to before. But God has been so faithful... teaching me lessons about finding my strength and confidence in Him alone. He has proved over and over that when I am weak, He is strong. It is amazing.

So what exactly am I doing here? Well last week we did work projects all week to prepare for the group of 50 high schoolers that joined us this past Saturday night. However, most of the summer will entail Bible camps within the local villages and at the orphanage. I am the program leader here at Jaibon, so I oversee all camp programming and activities with the kids here at the orphanage. In addition to that, I am working with about a dozen college-aged interns... investing in their lives and praying for life changes over the course of the summer. I long to see God shatter their dreams and replace them with His. I want them to fall in love with their Savior like they never have before. Some of the weeks this summer we will have big groups come in where I also want to pour into the volunteers.

God's plan for me at Jaibon has far exceeded my expectations. It has been absolutely incredible to see changes in the 22 boys that live here already. I see the timidness fade away... replaced with smiles. I see excitement for activities with each other. But most of all, I see them feeling loved by others. It is beautiful to watch. I am so humbled by the opportunity to be here at the beginning and watch the Lord unfold a beautiful plan for Jaibon.

Please pray for...
-Unity between interns and 1 week volunteers
-For 22 changed lives in the hearts of the boys
-For continual community to be built between the interns
-For my heart to be open to the continual plan God has for me in the DR this next year

Sorry that was so long! I love you all!

Hasta luego from the island full of moto-bees, ants that crawl through mosquito nets, beautiful sunsets, turantulas, insane creation, and tons of people with beautiful hearts!

No comments: