Friday, May 22, 2009

Yo tengo gozo en mi corazon!

So I have been really bad at this whole blogging thing... seeing how my last blog was in February, but I am making a promise to myself that I WILL blog frequently while I am in the Dominican! Now frequently may mean only once a week, but hey, that's better than once every three or four months. As long as I can find internet, I will attempt weekly blog updates.

That being said... I leave for the Dominican for atleast 15 months in 8 days! Background on that: I have spent the past two summers living at an orphanage in the Dominican Republic and doing Bible camps in the surrounding villages. From that very first summer two years ago, I felt the Lord placing the DR in a very special place in my heart. For the past two years I have prayed much over where God wanted to use me. It has been quite the journey, but I have complete peace that God's vision for my life right now lies on Dominican soil (Phil. 4:7!). Thus, in 8 days I will pack my bags and head back down to that little island where I left my heart.

This summer holds something new and incredibly exciting! I will not be returning to the same orphanage I have always lived at. Instead, I will be living at an orphanage in Jaibon (pronounced Hi-Bone) about an hour away from the other. This new orphanage is the home to 22 boys. The organization that I go down with, Orphanage Outreach, has never partnered long term with this orphanage. Essentially, we will be starting completely new programs at this orphanage this summer. We will be constructing volunteer housing, providing camps for the 22 boys, and going into local villages and schools to provide Bible-focused camps.

I will be moving to Jaibon along with John and his family, of whom I'm sure you will hear a lot about! John will primarily be the Team Leader (working with volunteers) and I will primarily be the Program Leader (laying out camps/programs) although our roles will definitely mix. We will also have around fifteen interns that will be joining us for 8 weeks this summer. Our passion is to see their lives radically changed for Jesus. We want to see their relationships with God come to a new level where they go home changed. We long to ignite passion. The internship program is going to be amazing! I'm pumped! There will also be individuals and groups from high schools, colleges, churches, etc. that join us for a week or two at a time throughout the summer.

So that's a general overview of the upcoming summer! I can't wait! I appreciate all of your prayers. Some specific prayer needs...
-That I find rest in the Lord through this constant preparation craziness
-For the unity and community of our team
-For open hearts

As far as staying in touch is concerned, the best way to reach me is through the internet (facebook, email: heatherleighcolbert@gmail.com, skype!). I'm not sure if we can receive mail in Jaibon, but I will post an address ASAP when I find out!

Shalom!
John 14:27

No comments: