Sunday, May 24, 2009

Love of God, overflow... permeate all my soul.

"In our differences, we are the same. We are a wide spectrum of people, with distinctive traits and talents, each reflecting a different characteristic of God. Each of us is playing a role in a saga so big that it can not be confined by time or space. In our pockets of isolation, we search for significance and yearn for community. So we come together, broken and injured, looking for a place to rest. Some come to support, some come to be healed, in coming together we are made whole. They all come to be known, to matter. We are here as more than just a number or statistic. We are here because we were created to bring value. We are here to make her laugh, to cause him to think, to convict them, and to grow. Here to be more than one person, one failure, one sinner, or one saint. We are here as a part of the ones. And we are here... because we were never meant to be alone."

While unpacking from school, I found this quote I received from a friend. I absolutely love the picture of community it paints. God has been teaching me and stretching me and molding me like crazy since I have been home. True, pure, real, and honest community is being pressed upon my heart. I have been forced to look at my relationships and examine whether they are all rooted and centered on Christ... examine what I am doing to let the love of Jesus overflow into every aspect of my being, including my relationships with people.

I think we throw around the word, "accountability." We seem to use it frequently enough, but I don't know that we truly comprehend its meaning and implications. If we are honestly trying to build each other up and sharpen each other in Christ, then we must keep each other accountable. This means asking the tough questions when it isn't always easy. This means confronting sin. This means keeping each other in check. Though confrontation is neither easy, nor fun, it is a beautiful picture of authentic community and growing together in Christ. Authenticity... I'm striving for a lot more of it. I fail. But God's grace is infinite.

"If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose."
Philippians 2:1-2

I'm excited to live in community this summer with 15 new faces! It's gonna be faaaab!

No comments: