Monday, April 7, 2014

{weekend glimpses}

The stark contrasts in my life used to paralyze me.  It didn't make sense to be visiting loved ones in a neighborhood full of complete darkness--their reality--and hours later to be eating at a fun restaurant with my friends.  I couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that some of my friends occasionally don't have enough money to eat dinner at night and I have enough for a plane ticket back home.  The differences haunt and confuse me if I let myself linger there and my thoughts never yield anything close to a simple answer.

Last night I went to McDonald's with a friend to get some work done for school.  It is basically the closest thing we have to a coffee shop around here... coffee and free wifi are hard to come by.  And there we found ourselves asking that familiar question once again.  Is it ok?  Is it ok that we are spending money on this meal when we know what else that money can buy?  When the money used on one meal there could feed an entire family for a day?  When we know how that money could benefit those our eyes have seen and our hearts have loved?

There are no easy answers to those questions and I know there never will be.  But I just pray that our hearts don't ever become numb to the Kingdom.  That we don't slowly find we are living for ourselves once again.  That we recognize that we are responsible for our spending and have been entrusted with much.  That instead of attempting to answer all those questions, we are seeking the Father's heart for His people.



No comments: