Tuesday, March 5, 2013

generosity.

One of the most incredible gifts of living in a culture that's not the one you grew up in, is being able to learn and grow from people who see life a little differently than you.  When living your whole life in one single place, you often think that all over the world everyone has similar views and behavior as you.  But that is simply not true.  When I first stepped off the plane almost 6 years ago, one characteristic was extremely evident about Dominicans: their generosity.  It was easily noticeable everywhere I went, no matter what the outer circumstances were.

Little kids share the small amount of chocolate they are given with all of their brothers and sisters.

There is always, always an extra plate of rice and beans for whoever may stop by the house.

Five adults share one piece of candy so that everyone is able to enjoy it.

Students at school offer me their snacks at recess.

A man Emilee and I met on a bus gets off at a stop and buys us candy bars.

If someone walks into my house with a cup of juice, they always offer me some.

So my question is, why have I grown up always having a "mine" mentality?  I worry that my money will run out.  I hoarded all of my candy and toys as a child.  Someone gives me a piece of cake and my first thought isn't to share it with the five people I'm with.  Why is offering the coat off my back not second nature to me?  Why am I not always concerned with others' comfort over my own?

The bottom line is, a lot of the time I don't live as if I have enough faith that God will always provide.  Because if I did, it would be second nature to offer the coat off of my back and the cup of coffee that I'm drinking.

God has taught me more than I can recount through Dominicans the past few years.  And right now that lesson continues to be selflessness.  I'm learning what it means to not just die to myself once, but to die to myself every moment of every day, preferring others over myself.  For as Matthew 10:8 says, "Freely you have received, freely give."

...

Jose playing a song he wrote  :)

No comments: